Want to give your law practice a major boost for $20 or less?
Take a client, colleague or mentor out for coffee once a week. Every week. Don’t worry about an agenda. Just focus on building the relationship.
Here’s another suggestion: spend 15 minutes updating your LinkedIn profile. You never know who might visit your page today.
“Many people think that investing in your career means spending thousands of dollars on fancy one-day professional retreats, or taking business contacts out to expensive meals,” says career consultant Elizabeth Koraca in this article for Yahoo Finance. “These things can be helpful and make a difference. But there are also many ways to invest in your career that cost very little or nothing at all.”
For example: create a digital business card (free with apps like Inigo), which can complement – or replace – your disposable, physical cards.
Want to learn other ways to make your law practice soar? Join the Alta Pro Lawyers RPG and get exclusive access to the Pro Practice Playbook, free webinars, discounts on practice management software and much more. Learn how to join here.
9 Ways to Energize Your Practice
The title of the Yahoo Finance piece is “Smart Ways to Invest in Your Career for $20 or Less.” And while some of the tips seem a bit obvious (assess your strengths, follow inspiring people on social media), others are solid gold:
- Sharpen your negotiation skills. The following four books – each of which costs less than $20 – are recommended by Yahoo writer Cameron Huddleston: “Never Split the Difference” by Chris Voss; “You Can Negotiate Anything: The World’s Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want” by Herb Cohen; “Fearless Salary Negotiation: A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting Paid What You’re Worth” by Josh Doody; “Playing Big: Practical Wisdom for Women Who Want to Speak Up, Create and Lead” by Tara Mohr.
- Sign up for an online newsletter. Sure, your email inbox is already overloaded. But there’s lots of great information out there available for free. Choose a source – like Alta Pro Lawyers RPG – that understands the perils and opportunities of practicing law.
- Join your alma mater’s alumni association. Okay, this one might cost more than $20. But it could be a fun and effective way to reconnect with your career roots and bolster your network.
- Send handwritten Thank You notes. In a digital age, the analog touch goes a long way. Be creative and make your missive stand out.
- Ask to shadow a lawyer you admire. Chances are they’ll be flattered. And you’ll get a first-hand look at how they do their thing.
- Grow your network through Meetup. This free app could lead to a key connection to advance your career.
- Listen to a law podcast. Spend your commute time more productively.
- Take an online course. It doesn’t have to pertain specifically to the law. Look for a topic that can expand your knowledge base or introduce a new hobby.
- Go to the gym. Planet Fitness is only $10 per month, so cost is no problem. The mental, emotional and physical benefits, on the other hand, are invaluable.
Alta Pro Lawyers RPG can help with your cybersecurity training. Sign up for our August 14 free webinar “Top 10 Things to Prevent a Data Breach.” For extra security, we offer comprehensive cyber-liability insurance protection. Find out more here.