Subscribe to Our Mail List
& Get Invites to Free CLE Webinars!
We never share your email, and we never spam.
What to do in the event of a claim
Having to report a claim is never fun, and many lawyers hesitate to ask for help because they are not sure the issue rises to the level of a claim, or they are embarrassed, or angry at the unfairness of it all, or concerned about the impact on their insurance premium. As a member of the Alta Pro Lawyers RPG, you do not have to navigate this process alone. We are here to help! Our goal is your peace of mind.
We advise you to answer these questions and respond accordingly
QUESTION: Have you been served with or made aware of:
- A complaint?
- A letter or email threatening to file a complaint for legal malpractice?
- A letter or email expressing dissatisfaction with your legal services?
- A letter or email demanding compensation in the form or money or legal services?
ANSWER: A yes response to any of the above meets the definition of claim and should be reported to the company as soon as possible. You can report directly or contact your agent for assistance. Include a description of the specific act or omission, the dates, the persons involved, the identity of the claimant(s), and the circumstances by which you first became aware of the possible claim and send by mail, fax or email to:
c/o AmTrust North America
233 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1000
Chicago IL 60601
Attn: AUI Claim Department
Fax: (877) 207-3961
QUESTION: Are you experiencing any of the following:
- Your client has expressed unhappiness with or is refusing to pay your fees.
- A breakdown in communication with your client.
- You’ve become aware of a conflict of interest or the potential for conflict of interest.
- Your personal circumstances may be interfering with your ability to do your best work.
- Your client is being unreasonable or is asking you to take on a matter outside of your expertise.
- You’ve become aware of an error.
ANSWER: A yes response to any of the above raises a red flag, and you should take advantage of your exclusive member access to pre-claim assistance from experienced defense attorneys. This resource just may help you to prevent a potential claim from becoming a full blown claim.
Reminger Alta Pro PROLINK Legal Hotline - Available 24/7 - (833) 830-6269
This exclusive member resource provides you with access to a knowledgeable attorney with expertise in professional liability who can counsel you if you think you may have a potential claim. If you have an unhappy or difficult client who is threatening to make a claim, or if you become aware of an error you made in providing legal services, contacting the ProLink Legal Hotline is your first step. This resource just may help you prevent a potential claim from becoming a full blown claim.