Did you know this is Cybersecurity Awareness Month?
Beginning in 2004, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has designated October as Cybersecurity Awareness Month. It is a collaborative effort between government and industry to educate Americans on staying safer and more secure online.
Throughout the month, NIST partners with other federal agencies and engages with public and private sector partners through events and initiatives. The NIST also provides online tools, links and checklists on preventing and responding to cyber events.
Alta Pro Insurance Services has been at the forefront of cyber awareness for lawyers and legal professionals. In June, we presented the CLE webinar Cybersecurity Ethics with guest speaker David Ries, a cybersecurity lawyer and co-author of the American Bar Association’s Tech Report 2022. This was the latest in a series of Alta Pro CLE webinars over the past three years on cutting edge cyber-law topics.
The focus of this year’s Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2022 is on four key behaviors:
- Enabling multi-factor authentication
- Using strong passwords and a password manager
- Updating software
- Recognizing and reporting phishing
Alta Pro will be publishing a four-part Cybersecurity Awareness Checklist series on the Alta Pro RPG Pro Practice Blog that takes a deep dive into each of the above-mentioned focus areas.
Alta Pro Insurance Services keeps you informed on cutting-edge issues that affect your practice. Every week the Pro Practice Blog posts timely and topical dispatches from the risk management front lines. We spot looming risks – like the possibilities and potential perils of cryptocurrency – and give you advance warning. We identify promising trends – like Micro Self-Care, Cybersecurity Ethics, and the One-Page Business Plan – and give you the inside scoop. We bring you live CLE webinars on topics you request, most recently “Managing a Law Practice in Uncertain Times.” Please let us know how we can help your professional practice minimize risk and maximize reward. We’re here for you.
Free Resources for NIST Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Follow the Alta Pro four-part series on Cybersecurity Awareness Month.
- Go to the NIST Cybersecurity Awareness Month website
- View this NIST 50th Anniversary Timeline
- Check out these cybersecurity and privacy resources on the NIST website
- Read the NIST cybersecurity and privacy blogs
- Subscribe to NIST Cybersecurity Insights blog for email updates
- Follow NIST on Twitter and use the hashtag #NISTcyber50th to join the discussion
- Visit the NIST cybersecurity landing page to see what else is going on
- Attend an NIST virtual conference or webinar (see NIST website for details)
Do you practice in Wisconsin, Texas, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana or Michigan? Is your professional liability coverage managed through Alta Pro? If so, you’re automatically a member of the Alta Pro Risk Purchasing Group (RPG), which offers a wealth of benefits for your practice: free, cutting-edge CLE webinars featuring top experts tackling timely topics; the Pro Practice Playbook; the Pro Practice Blog; Reminger’s ProLink risk management assistance; Reminger’s Claim Repair Hotline; discounts on CLIO practice management software; tax savings on health insurance; and access to the Risk Pro, who can help keep your firm safe and successful. Register here and start enjoying your Alta Pro RPG benefits.