Search Engine Optimization is the key to achieving a high Google ranking for your law firm website, but how does a solo or small firm lawyer get started with SEO?
And what are the most important elements of a winning SEO strategy?
Digital marketing expert Alex Valencia has prepared an 8-point blueprint that answers these and other SEO questions.
“Law firms need to take a strategic and creative approach if they want to attract more clients from Google,” he writes for Search Engine Journal. “The good news is that the fundamentals of an SEO-friendly website are pretty consistent across the board. A website that is user-friendly, targets the right search terms and provides valuable content to potential clients is over halfway there when it comes to satisfying the search engine algorithms.”
Below is Valencia’s strategy for generating more web traffic and client leads.
Read “8 Components of an SEO-Friendly Law Firm Website” here.
Do you know the difference between old-school ethics and cybersecurity ethics? If not, join us on June 29 for the free CLE webinar “Cybersecurity Ethics: Safeguarding Client Data in Today’s Emerging Hybrid Practice.” You’ll receive an insider’s tour of the American Bar Association’s annual TechReport, which covers everything from spearphishing to spam filters, and you’ll learn how small firms are using technology to stay safe, successful and competitive. “Cybersecurity Ethics” features attorney David G. Ries, a contributing author of the 2021 TechReport and a long-time expert in law office cybersecurity. Ries will draw on his cyber expertise and drill down into the TechReport to extract valuable pointers for your practice. You’ll discover the 10 Basic Cyber Safeguards and 3 Bad Cybersecurity Practices to avoid at all costs, as well as four ABA ethics opinions that could save your law license. Join us on June 29. Register here.
8 Components of Law Firm SEO
Here are the highlights of “8 Components of an SEO-Friendly Law Firm Website,” with selected quotes from Alex Valencia.
1. Keyword Research. “One of the most common complaints I get as an SEO professional in the legal niche is that lawyers may have their phone ringing off the hook, but the calls are from people who either need something they don’t offer or can’t afford their services. This is usually due to off-base keyword targeting. As a law firm, you should target those terms that will attract the types of people (or businesses) you want to work with. Be specific, whether that means targeting keywords related to ‘car accidents,’ ‘product liability claims,’ ‘family law,’ ‘criminal defense,’ ‘employment law,’ etc.”
2. Website Design. “A website that loads quickly is intuitive and makes it simple for visitors to find the information they’re looking for means easier crawlability (for search engines) and more clients (for you).”
3. Branding & Authority. “One component of an SEO-friendly law firm website that rarely gets mentioned is branding. In a sea of online competitors, your law firm needs strong branding to stand out. This means investing in high-quality photography, a professional logo, and an attractive website. Branding also encompasses brand colors and fonts and the messaging (copy) you use on your site.”
4. Technical SEO. “Some technical SEO best practices to follow include: having an intuitive URL structure (i.e., using URLs like “diazfirm.com/family-law/” rather than “diazfirm.com/famlawfirm-or”); fixing 404 (not found) pages to direct to live pages on your site (see: “301 redirects”); submitting a sitemap of your website to increase crawlability; enabling SSL (https:// vs http://) so your website is “secure” for users; making sure your website is mobile-friendly across multiple devices; setting up Google Search Console and Google Analytics to track traffic to your website.”
5. On-Page Optimization. “Remember that keyword research we did in step #1? Now it’s time to incorporate those keywords into your website.”
6. Off-Page Optimization. “For law firms, this typically involves three things: Local optimization; Review generation; Link building.”
7. Conversion Optimization. “When it comes to SEO, the end goal is rarely traffic; it’s leads or revenue. By considering conversion optimization when building your website, you increase your chances of turning that traffic into actual clients.”
8. Content Marketing. “When it comes to writing content for your law firm website and posting on your blog, it’s not enough to just publish, pray, and wait for the traffic to roll in. You’ll want a multi-channel marketing strategy in order to get the most life out of your content.”
Why choose Alta Pro Lawyers Risk Purchasing Group over other legal malpractice programs? Because Alta Pro RPG gives insured law firms exclusive access to valuable practice resources and cost-saving programs. When you join the Alta Pro RPG, you can use our Pro Practice Resource Center, filled with practical pointers and risk management tools to keep your law firm safe and soaring. Plus you get exclusive access to free CLE webinars, like our recent, highly popular program on Basics of Cannabis Law. Also: discounts on office essentials, Ask the Risk Pro, malpractice defense hotline and more. Don’t miss out on these fantastic perks. If you’re already a policyholder with Alta Pro but haven’t yet created your RPG account, here’s how to do it.