Over the past two years, legal technology has entered the mainstream of law practice.
Virtual conferencing, remote work and cloud computing have become as common as manila folders and paper clips. E-signature software has replaced Bic pens. File sharing has changed the nature of collaboration.
“Technological breakthroughs are changing the way we practice law,” says tech writer Jacob Maslow for LegalScoops. “Every law firm can become more efficient, profitable, and client-centered, even if it just starts by using the essential tools before graduating to the more sophisticated ones.”
Why choose Alta Pro Lawyers Risk Purchasing Group over other legal malpractice programs? Because Alta Pro RPG gives insured law firms exclusive access to valuable practice resources and cost-saving programs. When you join the Alta Pro RPG, you can use our Pro Practice Resource Center, filled with practical pointers and risk management tools to keep your law firm safe and soaring. Plus you get exclusive access to free CLE webinars, like our recent, highly popular program on Basics of Cannabis Law. Also: discounts on office essentials, Ask the Risk Pro, malpractice defense hotline and more. Don’t miss out on these fantastic perks. If you’re already a policyholder with Alta Pro but haven’t yet created your RPG account, here’s how to do it.
Top Tech Breakthroughs in the Legal Space
- Virtual conferencing. “According to the 2020 Legal Trends report, 37 percent percent of legal clients don’t mind a virtual legal meeting for a first meeting or consultation.”
- Legal research tools. “The face of legal research is changing through artificial intelligence (AI) implementation. ROSS Intelligence uses IBM Watson to do legal research automatically. This is conducted faster than current legal search engines are doing. AI is also used to create and review contracts a real-time-saver for lawyers.”
- Secure file sharing. “Working remotely required more sophisticated and secure sharing solutions for communicating with clients, sharing case-related documents among colleagues, and getting signatures.”
- Litigation software. “Software that can run all the possible scenarios of a car accident, crime scene, and ballistics calculations can help legal teams save time and money. In addition, these simulations and computer-generated evidence can replace expert witnesses, helping determine cases faster.”
- Electronic Signatures. “[N]ot legally binding in all situations (in some states, a will must still have a wet signature), but they make the completion of some documents fast and effortless. They save money and leave a smaller margin for human error.”
- More efficient discovery. “eDiscovery makes it easier for a law firm to put the data together and share it. In addition, discovery software automates the process by filtering information while automatically scanning for viruses.”
- Firm management. “[L]egal tools offer automated features for tracking legal time and expenses, with automatic billing features. Every legal office can run more effectively if it takes advantage of the latest document automation tools. These streamline the process of preparing motions or writing letters, helping sync all the available information, and they store everything securely.
Do you practice in Wisconsin, Texas, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana or Michigan? Is your professional liability coverage managed through Alta Pro Insurance? If so, you are automatically a member of the Alta Pro Lawyers RPG. All you need to do is sign up to start enjoying benefits like cash discounts on Clio practice management products, free CLE webinars, the Pro Practice Playbook, Reminger ProLink, Ask the Risk Pro and more. Here’s how to join.