Law Day – an annual celebration of our profession – is coming up on May 1.
There are ways for you, your office and your clients to participate. The theme of Law Day 2023 is “Cornerstones of Democracy: Civics, Civility, and Collaboration.”
“The first component, civics, centers around understanding how the government functions and the role each citizen plays in upholding a democratic society,” according to the ABA, the event’s sponsor. “The second element, civility, underscores the need for respectful and courteous public discourse. This is essential for fostering healthy debate and bridging gaps between differing opinions. Collaboration, the final aspect of the theme, emphasizes the importance of working together across different sectors. It highlights that legal professionals, government officials, and citizens can unite to address shared challenges and achieve common goals.”
Here is a History of Law Day.
Do you know one simple step that will reduce your risk of wire fraud to near zero? Can you name the Three C’s of Law Firm Branding? Do you understand how amygdala hijack might be sabotaging your law practice? You would know the answers to these and other important questions if you attended our recent CLE webinars. These free lunch-hour programs – which feature nationally-recognized experts offering practical tips and guidance on crucial issues affecting the legal industry – are just one of the many benefits available to you as a member of the Alta Pro Risk Purchasing Group (RPG). Do you practice in Wisconsin, Texas, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana or Michigan? You may be eligible for regular Pro Practice e-Alerts, the Pro Practice Blog, Reminger Law’s ProLink risk hotline, discounts on CLIO practice management software, free consultations with the Risk Pro and more – without even knowing it. Register here and start enjoying your Alta Pro RPG benefits.
Five Ways to Celebrate Law Day
Here are some suggested Law Day activities, courtesy of CLIO:
- Prioritize the three cornerstones. “Discuss with colleagues and peers practical steps to promote these values in their professional lives,” writes CLIO. “This may involve participating in pro bono work, engaging in community events, or joining forces with other legal professionals to address societal challenges.”
- Go public. Write an article for your local newspaper. Give a talk at your child’s school. Publish Law Day posts on social media. Check out this Law Day Conversation Guide.
- Attend a Law Day event. Find out if any opportunities are offered by your state or local bar associations. Or organize an activity yourself.
- Nominate someone for a Law Day Award. Know a person or group that exemplifies Law Day values? Submit a nomination for a Law Day Award here. Note: You can only do this after the fact. Applications run from May 1st to June 30th.
- Have an office get-together. Assemble your team for a special luncheon or outing to discuss Law Day and what it means for your firm and clients.
Are you taking advantage of the many benefits available to you as a member of the Alta Pro Risk Purchasing Group (RPG)? Free, cutting-edge CLE webinars on hot topics from Cannabis Law to Emerging Cyber Threats. Pro Practice e-Alerts delivered straight to your in-box with breaking news for solos and small firms. Premium content – including forms, roadmaps and checklists – available 24/7 at the Pro Practice Blog and Pro Practice Playbook on the RPG website. Prompt, confidential assistance with problem cases from Reminger Law claims prevention. Practice management assistance from The Risk Pro. Discounts on CLIO software products and tax savings on health insurance plans. These tools and resources – and more like them – have real, practical value. More important, they are actually used by hundreds of law firms nationwide to stay safe and successful. Get with the RPG program! Click here to start accessing your benefits.