Number one on the list of bad cybersecurity practices is failing to use multi-factor authentication.
Law firms that use single-factor authentication to enter critical data systems are playing with fire, according to the Cybsersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA).
Here are the top three on the CISA list of Bad Practices:
- Using single-factor authentication
- Using unsupported or “end-of-life” software
- Using weak or default passwords and credentials
Do you practice in Wisconsin, Texas, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana or Michigan? Is your professional liability coverage managed through Alta Pro? If so, you’re automatically a member of the Alta Pro Risk Purchasing Group (RPG), which offers a wealth of benefits for your practice: free, cutting-edge CLE webinars featuring top experts tackling timely topics; the Pro Practice Playbook; the Pro Practice Blog; Reminger’s ProLink risk management assistance; Reminger’s Claim Repair Hotline; discounts on CLIO practice management software; tax savings on health insurance; and access to the Risk Pro, who can help keep your firm safe and successful. Register here and start enjoying your Alta Pro RPG benefits.
Most Widely Used Law Firm Cybersecurity Tools
- Spam filter (81 percent; this may be under-reported because most email service providers have at least basic spam filters)
- Software-based firewalls (75 percent)
- Anti-spyware (75 percent)
- Mandatory passwords (70 percent)
- Antivirus for desktops/laptops as well as for e-mail (both about 70 percent)
- Intrusion detection and prevention systems (33 percent)
[Source: 2021 ABA TechReport]
Here are some law office technology usage statistics from the 2021 ABA Survey:
- 53 percent of responding firms have a data retention policy
- 60 percent have a policy on email use
- 56 percent for internet use
- 57 percent for computer acceptable use
- 56 percent for remote access
- 48 percent for social media
- 32 percent personal technology use/BYOD
- 44 percent for employee privacy
Why choose Alta Pro Lawyers Risk Purchasing Group over other legal malpractice programs? Because Alta Pro RPG gives insured law firms exclusive access to valuable practice resources and cost-saving programs. When you join the Alta Pro RPG, you can use our Pro Practice Resource Center, filled with practical pointers and risk management tools to keep your law firm safe and soaring. Plus you get exclusive access to free CLE webinars, like our recent, highly popular program on Basics of Cannabis Law. Also: discounts on office essentials, Ask the Risk Pro, malpractice defense hotline and more. Don’t miss out on these fantastic perks. If you’re already a policyholder with Alta Pro but haven’t yet created your RPG account, here’s how to do it.